Early Invisalign Treatment for Kids
Many parents ask us when the right time is to start thinking about orthodontic treatment for their children. Of course, every child has his or her own unique needs, but The American Association of Orthodontists generally recommends scheduling an orthodontic evaluation no later than the age of seven. The sooner we get ahead of potential alignment problems, the better the long-term results. Phase 1, or early interceptive treatment, usually occurs when the patient is a child and still has his or her baby teeth.
The goals of early treatment are to prevent a problem from occurring, correct a current problem or help direct jawbone growth. Multiple problems with tooth alignment, gums, jaws and facial problems can be corrected with Phase 1 treatment.
Kids often display early signs of jaw problems as they grow and develop. We can examine and monitor your child’s growth to determine the most effective time to start treatment. Our goal is to help create the conditions that allow your child’s permanent teeth to erupt normally. There are certain appliances that allow us to do that. One of them is Invisalign.
What are the benefits of early Invisalign treatment?
We are using Invisalign for the early treatment of orthodontic problems more and more and have been seeing great results. A few benefits of using Invisalign in children include:
- Usually at the early ages, children will listen to their parents and comply with the treatment instructions for wearing their Invisalign trays
- Hygiene is much better with Invisalign, compared to fixed traditional braces
- There is less discomfort during the treatment
- There are no dietary restrictions, as with fixed appliances
- Invisalign reduces or eliminates the need for emergency visits during treatment
- When started in children at Phase I, there is no need to pay for Invisalign lab during Phase II (if needed), which results in saved money for the patient’s family
What are the benefits of early orthodontic evaluation?
Early evaluation provides both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. Prudent intervention guides growth and development, preventing serious problems later, such as:
- Open bite
- Deep overbite
- Gaps between teeth
- Other possible consequences from oral habits, such as thumb sucking
Why is age seven considered the optimal time for screening?
By the age of seven, the first adult molars erupt, establishing the back bite. During this time, an orthodontist can evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships. For example, the presence of erupting incisors can indicate possible overbite, open bite, crowding or gummy smiles. Timely screening increases the chances for an incredible smile.
Benefits of early screening and orthodontic treatment with Invisalign include:
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth removal (extraction cases)
- Reducing treatment time during Phase II treatment stage
At Diamond Braces, we recommend bringing your child in for a consultation with an orthodontist at age seven. This initial visit will allow one of our experienced orthodontists to advise if any interceptive work is needed in order to ensure proper growth and development of your child’s dentofacial structures.